Get a Library Card
Get a Library Card:
Any resident of North Carolina or anyone who works or attends school in Nash or Edgecombe Counties is eligible for a free library card. Apply in person with a valid government-issued photo identification and proof of current address. Children 3 to 17 years old may have cards in their own name provided a parent or other responsible adult age 18 or older who has a library card applies for them.
Library cards should be treated with care. Patrons are held financially responsible for materials checked out on their library cards. Cards must not be loaned to other people and lost cards should be reported immediately.
Please see Circulation Policies for complete information about loan guidelines and fines & fees.
Circulating books and children's audio tapes may be borrowed for two weeks. Video tapes and DVD's may be borrowed for one week. The library reserves the right to limit the number of items borrowed on any one subject so that other patrons will have access to materials on that subject.
Materials may be renewed in person, over the telephone (442-1951, ext. 221), or via our online catalog. Unless reserved by another patron, most materials may be renewed twice for two weeks each time. Videos and DVDs may not be renewed.
Fines and Fees
- Overdue Fines (1 to 44 days overdue) - 25 cents per item per day
- Laptop overdue fine - $5.00 per 15 minutes
- Maximum fine per item - $10.00 or price of item if less
- Maximum fine per account - $50.00
- Overdue Fines for Special Items -$5.00 per item per day
- Interlibrary Loan Fee - $3.00 per item
- Interlibrary Loan Fine - 25 cents per day per item
- Lost or Badly Damaged Items - Cost of item plus processing fee
- Processing Fee - $10.00
- Lost or Damaged Audio Cassette - $10.00
(We charge only for tape damage caused by negligence.)
- Lost Audio or Video Tape Box or Book Tape Bag - $5.00
- Replacement Library Card - $5.00
- Library Card for non-resident - $20.00 annual charge
- Copies and Computer Printouts - 25 cents per b&w page, $1.00 per color page
- Use of Conference Room - Varies; free to local non-profits, $50.00 for other groups
- Returned Check Fee - $30.00
- Microfilm from State Library $.50 per item
- Microfilm from out of state rental program $3.50 per item plus $4.00 shipping for up to 4 reels
- Proctoring written or online test $20.00
- Fax $2.00 per page (coversheet free)
- Copies (black & white) $0.25 per page
- Copies (color) $1.00
- Paper $0.10 per sheet
- Notary $5.00 per seal (set by gov't)
- To scan and send file(s) by email: $3 per first page scanned, $1 per additional page(s) (per occurrence)
- To photocopy and/or scan and send pages by regular mail: $3 per first page scanned or photocopied, $1 per additional page(s) (per occurrence); no charge for postage
- To scan and email or photocopy and send by regular mail: $5.00 per page for estate services
- To conduct research for patrons not present in building (email or telephone request): $10 per every 30 minutes
- To burn files to a CD and mail CD: $3 per first page scanned, $1 per additional page(s) + $2 per CD; no charge for postage
- To copy a CD: $2 per CD + $1 for staff time
- To travel to State Archives to do research for a patron: $90
- Passports, Adult $110.00 to US Department of State, $25.00 to BML
- Passports, Child under 16 $80.00 to US Department of State $25.00 to BML
(all passport fees are set by the Department of State)
- To copy documents for passport applicant $1.00 per page
Materials borrowed from Braswell Memorial Library must be returned to Braswell Library. An external book drop at the library is available 24 hours a day for your convenience.
All circulating materials may be put on hold by patrons. Holds may be placed in person at the Library, via our online catalog or over the telephone. When a held item becomes available notification is made by e-mail and telephone. The item will be held awaiting pickup for three business days.